Expanding Your Career with Locum Work Opportunities
Blending locum tenens opportunities with regular practice responsibilities is a satisfying, lucrative, and highly beneficial means to enhance your medical career. These short-term contracts differ widely in location and length; it’s often easy to find contracts that are adaptable to your schedule.
Locum tenens work opportunities also present opportunities for you to gain professional experience, work with new technologies, and explore different patient populations.
Whether you’re interested in moonlighting with locum work or a full-time opportunity, you can trust Locum Leaders to find a work situation that meets your personal and professional goals.
But is locum tenens work for you? To get the most out of these opportunities, it’s important to be:
- Adaptable. Every hospital or facility you visit during your locums career will function differently. Being able to adjust to a variety of different situations is crucial.
- Autonomous. Practicing as a locum tenens physician requires a degree of independence. During this time, it is important to remember that your dedicated Locum Leaders recruiter will be available to answer any questions you have or offer any assistance you may need to make your experience more rewarding.
- Flexible. Working short-term assignments on top of a traditional practice can require some creative scheduling, especially if traveling is involved. Your locum tenens recruiter will be able to assist you in managing your schedule, as well as travel arrangements.
If you’ve already decided you want to pursue a locum work experience, how do you choose a recruiter or agency? Here are a few important factors to consider:
- Your locum tenens recruiter will be one of your most valuable resources. Choose a reliable partner with responsive, responsible recruiters who are always there when you need them.
- A good locum tenens firm will cover your malpractice insurance, assist with travel and scheduling, as well as provide you with information you’ll need for your trip.
- Choose a member of the National Association of Locum Tenens Organizations (NALTO) — such as Linde Healthcare — to represent you in your locum tenens career to ensure high ethical standards and quality of service.
- Talk to your current supervisor and review your contract before signing any locum tenens agreements; you may need to obtain approval beforehand.
- Providing full documentation of your licenses and employment history is essential. Staying organized is the key to a successful moonlighting experience.
- Planning ahead is imperative. Scheduling travel around important events in advance will make your experience more satisfying.
- Many facilities seeking locum tenens physicians prefer those that will accept on-call duties, varying hours, and weekend shifts. Although not absolutely essential, being open to these conditions will afford you the most exciting opportunities from which to choose.
Locum tenens work offers many benefits to your professional career. Here are some tips to help you maximize your experience.
- Working locally may seem convenient, but traveling presents a broader array of opportunities. Also, facilities are often willing to help with travel expenses.
- If you choose to work only in your local area, try extending your search to the rural areas surrounding the city. Non-metropolitan facilities are often willing to pay more and offer a host of opportunities not available in large cities.
- Take advantage of every opportunity — build professional contacts and introduce yourself to other doctors, work with all the various resources the facility has to offer, and experience the local atmosphere during your stay.
- Contact the facility administrator regarding Continuing Medical Education (CME) opportunities during your stay — rare regional opportunities can help you expand your career in exciting new directions.
Combining short-term opportunities with permanent practice responsibilities offers a chance to broaden your professional skill set, boost your income, and gain a renewed sense of fulfillment and satisfaction in your work.
BROWSE LOCUM JOBS NOW >
For more information on how to pursue locum work opportunities, contact us today.
© 2015. AMN Healthcare, Inc. All Rights Reserved.